18 July 2008

Another Early Morn Review: The Dark Knight

This might be the last of its kind for a while, as I don't know of many more movies this summer going with the midnight-Thursday release.

- This movie was pretty uncompelling to me. There are a numerous amount of boy-isn't-the-Joker-ingeniously-evil moments, but nothing in the film presents an alternative to his character. Christian Bale is flat, Maggie Gyllenhaal is flat. I remarked to my roommate that this movie felt more like an iteration of the "Saw" series than a sequel to "Batman Begins".

- I might be a sucker for Aaron "Nick Naylor" Eckhart, but I thought his story arc as Harvey Dent/Two-Face was well done. We saw the pre-fall brightness and nobility, and the disoriented, grasping rage post-fall, as he struggled to find a place for himself in the world.

- This movie has quite a few political undertones, amongst them: support for surveillance, the power of propaganda over truth. More later, but I think it's worth exploring that, when placed in a fantastical and fictional world, the average American has different responses to policies than they do when viewing CNN.

- Ledger was great. You'll hear that everywhere, but I wonder: how much re-editing took place after his death? Although he was great, the movie was saturated with the Joker. A more appropriate title would have been Why So Serious: The Joker Comes to Gotham.

- The disappearing pencil. A good moment of villainy-cum-cleverness.

- Michael Caine is a great actor. Great. His moments carry whiffs of "Batman Begins" and almost serve as judgment against this film because I was reminded of how much I liked the first film.

Okay, I got a mid-term in 7 hours. I need some sleep.

No comments: