04 November 2008

Why I Didn't Vote

My name is Snowden, and I didn't vote for the President in 2008.

Let me start off by stating this is my own opinion and I'm not telling anyone to do anything other than what they want to do. I realize that many people believe their right to vote is the essence of what it means to be an American. If you are so convicted, please don't take my position to be an attack on your idea of America. I just happen to disagree with you (whoever you are) on what it means to be a citizen of this excellent nation.

Note that this isn't one of those anti-WTO psychotic "All parties are the same, man. It's the corporate fat-cats" ramblings. This is merely stating that I don't want either of these men, Sen. Obama or Sen. McCain, to be able to count my voice in support of their administrations.

----

A couple of quotes from great books and great men:

"The major problem -- one of the major problems, for there are several -- one of the many major problems with governing people is that of whom you get to do it; or rather of who manages to get people to let them do it to them.

To summarize: it is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it. To summarize the summary: anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job. To summarize the summary of the summary: people are a problem.
-- Douglas Adams, "The Restaurant At The End Of The Universe"

It is not in the nature of politics that the best men should be elected. The best men do not want to govern their fellow men.
-- George MacDonald

The change, it had to come
We knew it all along
We were liberated from the fold, that's all
And the world looks just the same...
Meet the new boss,
Same as the old boss
.
--The Who, "Won't Get Fooled Again"


No comments: