09 November 2008

The Election Did Not Reform America, It Revealed America

This is meant to be as grouch-free as possible. Please read it, charitably, as such.

I was talking with my brother a few days ago, and he raised an interesting point:

Since Obama won the Presidency last week, we've all seen countless Black men and women saying (roughly): "I can finally tell my children that anything is possible."

My brother's response? Not true. Obama actually winning the election did not effectively change the possibility of an African-American becoming president. As he put it, "if you were a Black parent with a ten-year-old son in 1971, you could tell him that he could become president, and it would have been true. He would have been a contemporary of our soon-to-be president." Interesting point

- Bouncing off that point, may I admit something? I think I'm due an admission of guilt. Why? If someone says "I always thought you [Snowden] were a real jerk until I met you,", he would need to tell me he was a) wrong or b) sorry.

Well, again over the past week, I've been hearing people say, "I always thought that America was racist/prejudiced/bigoted, but this election has changed my perspective." Great! I'm glad you've changed your mind, now just admit that you were wrong! This election was not some quick-change of the United States, rather it revealed just how far the nation has come. Is all of this too much to ask?

- I'm already sick and tired of the insufferable experts on "black"-dom that are plaguing my news channels. I'm expecting that the number will explode even more over the next few years. They don't really serve much of an informational/educational purpose, and all they can count on is to reveal just how painfully nerdy our television hosts are (I'm looking at you, Wolf).

No comments: