12 January 2009

Midwestern Western Bar Brawl

So, at the greatest university EVAR, the Snow-mageddon happened this weekend.

On the occasion of the first sizeable snowfall in dear Ann Arbor town, the campus traditions dictate that two of the biggest dorms at UM, South Quad and West Quad (and which are conveniently located across the street from each other), engage in an honor-duel snowball fight.

I know, you all think “So what? Every college has snowball fights. Boring blog post, Snowden, I’m going back to my Facebook pag—“

Wait! Dear reader, tarry a while longer, there’s more!

There’s a hidden dynamic to the fight (and it is a fight): one of the dorms is the home to many of the freshman (and sometimes sophomore) Division I athletes. The other, mainly the university's "academic stars". So imagine with me one side, armed to the gills with high school All-American football and baseball players, and the other chock full of Science Olympiad captains and intelligent Theater Tech-Crew leaders. Think Detroit Red Wings vs. Park County Pee-Wee Hockey Team. It does not disappoint.

I was reminded of all this because of a thread at MGoBlog. Some highlights:
- "FYI - I took a giant ice-ball in the nuts. F****** baseball players"

- "The football players can get pretty nasty during the South Quad - West Quad snowball fight. In fact, two years ago [starting wide receiver] Greg Mathews shattered my roommate's ankle with a tackle during the fight. Honors kids vs. football players never was quite fair."

- "There was also like 5 fist fights. It reminded me of an old timey western bar brawl."

- "During the snowball fight, my friend got hit in the face... by a pumpkin."

- "The baseball players were fighting dirty towards the end, as the football players, namely Tay Odoms and Kenny Demens, started laying people out. The started throwing rocks and objects like peanut butter jars."
Awesome.

(!!!) I also just found this googling* around:



---------------
*That's right, I'm a googler.

No comments: