10 February 2009

Profiles in Condescending Stereotypes

I’m still feelin’ crummy enough that my constitution was barely up for watching this:

RTWT. (HT: Hot Air)

This clip shows more about the bigoted stereotyping of the South by the Left than anything else. (not for the first time, either) 

It just too easy: move out of the South and engage in the de rigueur denigration: “All my friends and family from (insert southern town here) were prejudiced; I’m a ‘refugee from intolerance’, etc.” After a few shared condescending laughs at the Twanging Christianists, you are welcomed into the “aware” elite of College Town Literati.

It’s also the most arrant kind of crap that passes for thought in such circles. Hell, I think it’s ridiculous, and I consider myself a South-hater.

“Really?” you ask. Yup. I’m at a point in my life where it’s nigh impossible for me to hate the South more. Why?

Two reasons: the SEC and country music. Any region that can prop up The Most Obnoxious People On The Planet AND The Country Bee-Gees* gets a double shot of Wrath De Snowden.

But even in the depth of my lick-spittled rage at the South, I’m smart enough, traveled enough, and, dare I say, mature enough to stop calling everything south of Washington, D.C. “Racist Jesusland”.

Lookit: I know how easy it is to turn to your life partner on the Zola Stella Sofa (of course its sustainable) and say:

“Thank GAWD, Eloise, that Bill Moyers was able to escape that racist-fascist hellhole of the South when he did! They probably still lynch people in some parts. I heard that there were thousands of anti-Muslim attacks in the week after 9/11, and that was just in Mississippi! I just shudder to think what would’ve happened to a progressive man like our PBS host if he had stayed in those backwaters.

By the way, did you hear that Caroline, Allen and Ellen’s daughter, got into Duke, but instead to chose Wellesley? She told me last week that she just couldn’t reconcile her values with a predominantly white and “rural” area like North Carolina. GAWD they raised her well, didn’t they?

Aw, shoot, did we miss Rachel Maddow? She’s soooo smart! Unlike those ditzy bimbos on Fox! Oh, it’s just starting? Great! Get the Snuggies and that organic wine I bought!”

But just because your view of the South is defined by My Cousin Vinny, Defiance, R.E.M., and Ira Glass doesn’t qualify you to label the South any more than my knowledge of Mighty Ducks lets me talk about Minnesota. Grow some perspective.

To echo the countless other commentators out there: I’d much, much, much rather be a Muslim in The Deep South than, say, a Prop 8 supporter in Hollywood or a Marine in Berkeley, or a conservative speaker on a college campus.

----

*As if I couldn’t hate those talentless assclowns more, I go to their Wikipedia page to find out that they are from Columbus, OH. Double Stuft Hate!  Mmm, the sweet taste of utter loathing lingers on my lips…

No comments: