28 October 2008

He'd left me an autograph: "Let me collect dust."

I swear to Alfred P. Sloan, I'm going to wander the streets, keying every Chevrolet in sight. This is going to be war. I'll never buy a General Motors car if this happens*:
WASHINGTON — The Bush administration is examining a range of options for providing emergency financial help to spur a merger between General Motors and Chrysler, according to government officials.

People familiar with the discussions said the administration wanted to provide financial assistance to the deeply troubled Big Three Detroit automakers, possibly by using the Treasury Department’s wide-ranging authority under the $700 billion bailout program that Congress approved this month.
As you know, I called this a ways back. Nothing special though, since we as Americans have this bizarre fixation with automobile manufacturing, where we think its representative of the well-being of Average Joe, it's easy to predict which industries will get government cheese. News flash: America isn't a car-making superpower anymore. We've moved on, to products in nanotechnology and software design. This process used to be called "keeping up with the times."

If we were to read on in the Times article, we'd see that even more good news is on the way:
A bailout for carmakers would be the latest in a series of government-financed rescue efforts for banks, Wall Street firms and an insurance conglomerate. While few experts dispute the car industry’s troubles, rescuing them would also increase political pressure to help ailing industries like airlines and steel producers.
Time to represent my emotional state in the form of a cup of soup:




*not hard for me. The last year a GM car was made that I wanted, I was -14 years old.

No comments: